Results

Monday, June 21, 2010

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to my financial blog. I'm new to the blogging world, so if you're a first time reader, I'm a first time poster.

A little about myself. I grew up in central Michigan near Lansing. I've always been good with math and, like most people, have had an interest in obtaining more money. I've attended a few colleges and pursued a variety of careers before settling on Finance. Many people have told me that Finance majors are for people that couldn't cut it in Accounting. That does not describe me at all. My work experience has mostly been related to accounting.

In the ten years I've been out of college. I've had four jobs. I've been a Billing Clerk, a Controller, a Director of Finance and currently I'm an Accountant for the Federal Government.

Although my degree from a well know University (at least in this area of the country) has opened many doors for me, it has also left me swimming in an overwhelming amount of debt. After four years of college, I was given two pieces of paper. A degree that would help me make more money, and a bill that would take a good chunk of it away. The average American's student loan debt is $23,200. I've racked up just over $85,000.

Last July, after a long time of saving, I was able to purchase my first home. I think I timed the market pretty well. Prices might have dipped a little last fall, but I got in pretty close to the bottom. Washington, DC has not been known for their cheap real estate and house values have fared much better then other areas of the country. I was able to buy a newly renovated 525 sqft condo with parking and storage for $274,000. After growing up in Michigan, that seems like a fortune.

So, what do I want to do with this blog. As you can see above, I have a little debt and I want it eliminated! Hopefully, I'll find readers that are in a similar situation or people that just want to make their situation a little better. Each day, I will post something that is finance related. I will chronicle my journey to financial freedom and along the way, help you do the same.

Are you ready? Will you join me on this trip? Tomorrow we'll start the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment